Custom Van Buildout
We were commissioned by a client to build out a van they had purchased to accommodate their travel needs. Our client, being a traveling nurse and avid rock climber, needed a space that would accommodate both of those pursuits, while still feeling like home.
In any small space, storage and functionality are key. Jacob Hyer, our finish carpenter, left no space unutilized when he was conceptualizing the interior of the van. Building everything from scratch and customizing every corner, he was able to produce an inviting and modern home on wheels.
The van is equipped with a gas stove, oven, refrigerator, and freezer, farm sink, running water and filtration system, electricity provided by solar power, two exhaust vans, a large skylight/moonroof, eating area and ample storage.
Some of the design elements include:
- Solid walnut butcher block countertops
- Walnut slat ceiling and tile backsplash
- Rusted steel side splash
- Soft closing hinges and full extension soft closing drawer slide
- Magnetic knife holder
- Luxury vinyl plank flooring
- Flip-up and flip-down tables
- Havelock Wool insulation
- Collapsible stools by Stoll’s Woodworking
- Plumbing system, courtesy of Commercial Services
- Many custom niches, shelves, and cubbies to maximize storage and space
This was an exciting project that very much fits the lifestyle folks are aiming to find. While travel is difficult right now, having your own space is the ultimate luxury, no matter how big or small.
Check out the video tour of the interior of the van: